Surrounded by the magnificent scenery of interlocking hills, Rwanda’s capital city Kigali is one of Africa’s most preferred destinations for hosting international meetings. Kigali is ranked as Africa’s cleanest and safest city, open for visitors from all over the world.
The World Economic Forum Report 2017 ranked Rwanda as the safest country in Africa and ninth safest in the world, and cited cleanliness, a conducive business climate and excellent venues as some of the country’s key strengths. It is the perfect host destination for the World Circular Economy Forum 2022.
More about Rwanda as a destination can be found from Visit Rwanda.
General information on Rwanda
- Time: The time in Rwanda is GMT +2
- Languages: Kinyarwanda, English and French (please note that the official language for WCEF2022 is English)
- Currency: Rwandan Francs (RWF)
- Population: 13 million
- Communications: Rwanda’s country code is +250. Rwanda has excellent cell phone networks covering the entire country. Telecom providers MTN and AIRTEL-TIGO both have a countrywide coverage. 4G is available in most urban areas. EDGE on 2G is activated countrywide. Helpdesks will be available at the airport gate to register for a local SIM card if needed.
- Electric supply: Rwanda has a 220V AC, 50Hz electricity supply. Two-pronged circular electrical connectors (EU). Adaptors are available at most hotels per request.
- Plastic ban: Plastic bags are not permitted in Rwanda as part of an environmental policy. Plastic bags must be discarded by passengers entering the country. They will be given a cost-effective, ecologically friendly alternative.
- Smoking: Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is prohibited indoors and in Rwandan government vehicles.
- Business and shopping: Public offices are open from 7:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Business hours are typically 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. On weekends, businesses are open from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
- Climate: Early December is part of a rainy season, so please expect some occasional rain. Kigali’s average temperature is 21°C (70°F), with highs of 30°C (86°F) and lows of 15°C (59°F).
- Banking: Banking hours are 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday. Banks are closed on Umuganda day (community service), the last Saturday of the month. Certain branches are open on Sundays.
All commercial banks offer a variety of banking services. The majority of banks feature cash dispensers that take Visa and MasterCard. Foreign exchange services are accessible across the city of Kigali. Commercial banks, hotels and international airports may exchange most globally recognised currencies and travellers’ checks. Most hotels, restaurants and businesses accept major credit cards.
Air connectivity is very easy. Airlines servicing Kigali International Airport include: RwandAir, Kenya Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, KLM, Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines.
The World Circular Economy Forum 2022 recommends compensation for the CO2-emissions of your flights. The compensation can be done for example with the non-profit providers Atmosfair, Compensate or any other organisation you wish to donate your compensation to.
Transportation to and from your accommodations can be arranged via your hotel or on arrival with a taxi.
Rwanda has an open visa policy where visas are facilitated on arrival for all nationalities. The visa fee is of $50, payable on arrival by cash in USD or card. The citizens of many countries have visa fees waived, including African Union, Commonwealth, La Francophonie, East African Community and others. See more on Rwanda’s government’s official website.
You will find options to apply for a visa in advance online, but rest assured it is not required, so we recommend getting the visa on arrival.
Passport or travel document validity
All travellers must hold a valid passport or another acceptable travel document. The document must have a validity of at least six months on the day of entry in Rwanda.
Yellow fever vaccination requirements
Ministry of Health of Rwanda requires all travellers coming from countries where yellow fever is endemic to provide proof of vaccination at border posts. Travellers without proof of vaccination will be immunised at the airport clinic at a cost of 40 USD.
Passenger Note – COVID-19
Relating to COVID-19, the Australian think tank Lowy Institute has ranked Rwanda as the best in Africa and sixth best in the world in managing the COVID-19 pandemic and making information accessible to the public.
For the latest information regarding COVID-19 for passengers entering Rwanda, please see Rwanda’s government’s official website.
Many airline operators fly to Kigali. RwandAir offers a discount of 15% on all its routes to Kigali for flights between 24 November and 15 December. The discount is applicable for both economy fares (from M class upwards) and business fares (from D class upwards). The tickets must be purchased by 8 December using the promotion code “WCEF2022” from RwandAir offices, website or Mobile App. Check RwandAir website for terms and conditions, which may change without notice.
If no other assistance is available to you, you can call 112 for an ambulance or medical emergency. For more information, you can visit the Ministry of Health’s website.
Common means of transportation in Rwanda are taxis that can be arranged via your hotel or by calling Yego Cab (taxi company) by dialling 9191.
Alternatively, you can wave at one of the red motorcycle taxis on the street, who will take you to your destination.
Doing business in Rwanda
Rwanda Development Board (RDB) is a one-stop-shop for doing business and investing in Rwanda. Companies and investors may wish to contact Mr Philip Lucky, Head of the Investment Department (email@example.com, mobile +250 788 414 009) to establish business connections in Rwanda.
Some hotels in Kigali offer preferential rates for WCEF2022 participants (marked with *). Please mention code “WCEF2022” while making the reservation. Please note that the organisers are not responsible for third party offers, which may change without notice.
Kigali Marriott Hotel*
KN 3 Ave, Kigali, +250 222 111 111, firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact the hotel by email to book your room for a discounted rate of USD220 per night from Monday 5 to Thursday 8 December 2022. The discounted rate is available as long as there are rooms left.
Sainte Famille Hotel*
1 KN 1 St, Kigali, +250 784 180 076, email@example.com
Park Inn by Radisson*
Avenue de Kiyovu and Res des Parcs, Kigali, +250 788 132 500, firstname.lastname@example.org
KG 624 St, Kigali, +250 784 040 924, email@example.com
KN 82 St, T2000 House, Kigali, +250 782 832 644, firstname.lastname@example.org
5 Swiss Hotel*
2 KN 25 St, Kigali, +250 785 511 155, email@example.com
KN 1 Ave, Kigali, +250 789 999 999, firstname.lastname@example.org
KN 1 Ave, Kigali, +250 252 554 700, email@example.com
5 KG 680 St, Kigali, +250 788 128 000, firstname.lastname@example.org
590 KN 50 St, Kigali, +250 787 838 564, email@example.com
Kigali Serena Hotel
KN 3 Ave, Kigali, +250 788 184 500, firstname.lastname@example.org
Four Points by Sheraton
KN 3 Ave, Kigali, +250 788 315 207
Ubumwe Grande Hotel
KN 47 St, Kigali, +250 783 744 700, email@example.com
Hôtel Mille Collines
2 KN 6 Ave, Kigali, +250 788 192 530, firstname.lastname@example.org
Radisson Blu Hotel
KG 2 Roundabout, Kigali, +250 252 252 252, email@example.com